Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 33

Thread: 299 and Manta CHEAP in Philly CL

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    HB Super Moderator
    299 and Manta CHEAP in Philly CL


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: 299 and Manta CHEAP in Philly CL

    Quote Originally Posted by gearfreak View Post
    Yup! Heading down now... maybe we'll meet. :-)
    I didn't go.I was going to pick them up for a board member.But he wasn't sure if he needed them so I didn't go.I'm glad to see another board member snagged them though !

    I already have some 299's and love them 30 lbs. monsters ! They are loud as stink and can handle lots of power!

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: 299 and Manta CHEAP in Philly CL

    I had my eye on them, but wasn't sure I needed them. Thanks AB. Glad to see that Gearfreak got them. Horns too?

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member gearfreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2008
    Location
    SEPA
    Posts
    633
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 299 and Manta CHEAP in Philly CL

    Thanks all.

    w/horns. Alas, diaphragms are bad on both.
    Was happy @ 2 bills and not planning on plunking down for new phragms, but you know how it is standing there.
    Of course we agreed on a discounted price.
    So now I get to figure out what next, and reshuffle the stable of things for sale.

    Eckle states re the 299A series:
    Newest Altec high frequency driver. Has good sound of 288 with 2? times the power handling. Costs less. Use this unit whenever possible. When rebuilding older 288s or 291s, use its diaphragm.

    I now have both 288 and 299 bodies.
    Any opinion(s) on whether there would be a sonic difference assuming same phragms used?
    (lower power, not SR use)
    25884 (8)/25885 (16) from GPA would seem to be the current production option.

    * Sonics aside, the 299 is desirable (to me) over the 288 due to the 299's 3 and 4 lug mounting options.
    ** Interestingly, these MRII564II have a serial# space on the label but it is not populated. Maybe none do?
    Last edited by gearfreak; October 6th, 2011 at 01:13 PM. Reason: added low power statement

  4. #4
    HB Super Moderator
    299 and Manta CHEAP in Philly CL


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: 299 and Manta CHEAP in Philly CL

    The (25884) is the 8 ohm 299 and the (25885) is the 16 ohm 299,is this what your asking GF ? It looks like a lot of crud in the gap.A simple Diaphragm replacement may not be sufficient GF.

    So the original part# for the 299-16A is the (25885)

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member gearfreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2008
    Location
    SEPA
    Posts
    633
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 299 and Manta CHEAP in Philly CL

    Quote Originally Posted by Altec Best View Post
    The (25884) is the 8 ohm 299 and the (25885) is the 16 ohm 299,is this what your asking GF ?
    No. Pano mentioned his are now 288's, with new GPA phragms, so wondering what pn he got from them in order that they cause them to become 288s. (could be: 23763)

    For certain on the crud.

    So what happens when I unscrew this 'top plate (?)' (the plate which the phragm mounts to, i.e. the 3 sunken bolts showing in the pic).

    I imagine, things come out of alignment?
    Last edited by gearfreak; October 12th, 2011 at 02:36 PM. Reason: added Altec 23763 ref.

  6. #6
    HB Super Moderator
    299 and Manta CHEAP in Philly CL


    Altec Best's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 10th, 2008
    Location
    Central New Jersey
    Posts
    4,257
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: 299 and Manta CHEAP in Philly CL

    Understand what you mean now. OK part # for a 8 ohm 288 is 23763 and the part # for a 16 ohm 288 is 23834.

    Here is GPA's listings for their 288 Diaphragms.The 299's are 25884-25885 for 8-16 ohm respectively

    41

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: 299 and Manta CHEAP in Philly CL

    My drivers are 291-16K and the 'phrams that come with them are 21531 Symbiotic.

    The new 'phrams are GPA 23834. 16 ohms Aluminum. I asked Bill at GPA if the 291 and 288 motors are the same, he said yes, same thing. Only difference is the diaphragms. Putting this 'phram in makes it a 288-16K

    So maybe one of the 288 'phrams listed above can turn a 299 into a 288.

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: 299 and Manta CHEAP in Philly CL

    Oh, and FWIW I just took a lot of surface rust off some hand tools with a soak in white vinegar. Worked great. The vinegar bubbled on the rust and some actually just fell off. The rust was easy to take off with a rag.

    It might be a way to clean your diver.

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member gearfreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2008
    Location
    SEPA
    Posts
    633
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 299 and Manta CHEAP in Philly CL

    Cool, thanks. I will have to try the vinegar approach and see.

    For now, they'll go on the shelf for a little while. At least until I figure out/learn if I can (realistically) further disassemble for cleaning. Don't want to jam a working phragm in there and ruin it with gunk.
    Last edited by gearfreak; October 13th, 2011 at 10:53 PM.

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member gearfreak's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 20th, 2008
    Location
    SEPA
    Posts
    633
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 299 and Manta CHEAP in Philly CL

    Quote Originally Posted by gearfreak View Post
    At least until I figure out/learn if I can (realistically) further disassemble for cleaning.
    Alas, looks like this won't be the case, would have to be sent in for work.
    Will get around to posting the set for sale unless/until I see another single around for reasonable price.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.